In our last few posts, we addressed the benefits of liberating Notes/Domino-based resources, fully leveraging new collaboration/content alternatives in Office 365, and optimizing SharePoint in Office 365 and SharePoint 2016. This post provides a brief overview of the CASAHL DART product suite, and explains how it’s uniquely well-suited to address common enterprise collaboration/content migration needs.
The diagram below captures the DART big-picture:
As suggested in the diagram, DART is a solution that:
- Starts with a variety of source system types — SharePoint (typically older versions), IBM Notes/Domino (and related products, e.g., QuickPlace/Quickr and Domino Document Manager), Google Drive, Exchange (public folders), a variety of file systems (e.g., Box and network file shares), and the leading enterprise content management (ECM) systems (via the CMIS standard)
- Follows a four-step process — discovery, analysis, rationalization, and transition, all explained in detail on this overview page — to create a complete inventory of previously-deployed collaboration/content resources, analyze usage patterns, provide a forum for stakeholders to collaboratively rationalize (e.g., triage and prioritize) migration project plans, and begin the transition (migration and/or interim integration between old and new systems)
- Makes it possible to work with resources in a source technology-independent framework, categorized into documents, lists/tables, discussions, collaborative applications, and team spaces
- Executes the final step, migrating the still-useful resources to modern collaboration/content services such as Office 365 and Microsoft Azure; DART also continues to support on-premises deployments of products including SharePoint and SQL Server
Some of the business benefits available with the CASAHL DART solution include:
- Rapid, comprehensive, cost-effective, and security-compliant identification of still-useful resources across a variety of source system types, without having to acquire and learn a different tool for each source/target combination
- The ability to liberate the resources from source system constraints and, as appropriate for the resource type (documents, discussions, etc.), flexibly migrate the resources to a variety of target systems; CASAHL DART provides a single solution for dealing with the most popular source and target systems
- Immediate and full leverage of the new systems, e.g., populating Office Graph and making the resources previously available only in legacy system silos securely and conveniently accessible to business users; the ability to migrate list/table-oriented resources to modern database systems, SharePoint lists, and Excel services provides another powerful opportunity to amplify the business value of information resources previously constrained to legacy systems
Overall, CASAHL DART makes it possible to get more value from Office 365 by using a highly automated solution for discovery and migration. This helps organizations avoid what might be considered the “Field of Dreams” syndrome for new collaboration/content systems: if you deploy it, they may not come, unless the business resources they need to accomplish their tasks are conveniently and securely available in the new system.
If you’re planning to attend the Microsoft Ignite conference in early May, consider yourself invited to stop by the CASAHL booth in the exhibit hall, for more information, live demos, and an opportunity to talk with our collaboration/content migration experts. You can also contact us via the CASAHL Web site.